Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Foodstuffs

Once we become close enough for them to notice, my friends are often surprised by my hoarding mentality. Julie used to come to visit, drop her backpack down in the bedroom, and wander out into the kitchen to open all the cabinet, refrigerator, and freezer doors. "You have so much food . . . " she would sigh, half dreamily and half reproachfully.

I love having food around. When there isn't good food in the house, I graze on candy or whatever edible bits I can find (a bit of candy, a crust of bread, a glass of juice) and then grow increasingly langorous and pallid and too exhausted to cook. This cycle continues until I go out to McDonald's, which is probably not the best solution. But the mere presence of good, fresh ingredients--fresh fruits and vegetables and meats, ingredients to make yummy sauces, etc.--makes me happy like almost nothing else.


It's true that I've never "gone hungry," in the truly dolorous sense. But it's also true that I've been hungry and pretty much always am hungry. That's why in my office, where I am right now, I have several different kinds of granola bars, a package of easy-mac, some Girl Scout cookies, a can of Spaghetti-Os, a tube of saltines, and peanut butter and jelly. Otherwise, I find myself stranded here working late and growing faint with hunger (touch back of hand to forehead).


So Sam tells me I eat like a hobbit, who apparently needs first breakfast, second breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, supper, etc. He comes over to the house, eyes up the fully stocked, walk-in pantry, and I can see him measuring the space and comparing it skeptically with the shelving at the new house. Then he asks me hypothetical questions about how many cans of vegetables I really have to have on hand, and reminds me that because of his peculiar sensibilities, "expiration dates matter now." (Chocolate chips or Cheerios don't really expire, do they? And not on the exact date . . . it's a rule of thumb. Don't worry--I don't serve anything really gross . . .) The other day he demanded to know exactly how many rolls of toilet paper I had on hand at my house just that minute. But the reason we had the conversation was that he had actually run OUT at his house! Which exactly proves my point!


I sense the beginnings of a regime change, but I will fight to protect my food supplies!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how funny is the timing of your post Tara! Just two nights ago our homegroup met for dinner at a local pizza joint, and as we all sat around the table blissfully noshing on pizza, calzones, strombolis, salads, and more, Frank and I reminisced about the time you came to our house for dinner last summer, and easily ate the two of us under the table! And then, to our even greater admiration, as we short-sightedly began wrapping up what we thought would be leftovers, you stood by the dishwasher and finished off every last morsel of crab!
I miss those marathon meals!

And...er...I'll let Frank comment on your toilet paper story!

Sat Apr 21, 06:57:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

Oh, how embarrassing. I deprived you from your anticipated leftovers! What an inexcusable little piglet!

Sun Apr 22, 12:18:00 AM EDT  
Blogger hermance said...

Please send details about what is up in your life! I feel so confused when I read about the future pantry. E-mail me if you don't want to post to your blog. Inquiring minds want to know!

Sun Apr 22, 11:46:00 AM EDT  
Blogger lee_merrill said...

You're not a piglet, Tara! You eat like a bird...

Though most people don't realize how enthusiastically birdies eat.

Well, maybe you don't eat that much...

Blessings,
Lee

Sun Apr 22, 04:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

What? Dreamily? Hmmm . . . I don't know if I agree with such an assessment. But I am quite fascinated by the sheer abundance.

Wed Apr 25, 09:52:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home