Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

NJ Smells Different

When Sam and I were returning from a visit to my parents' last weekend in NJ, I asked him if the countryside looked different from that of the Midwest. (Before you laugh, South Jersey really is a lot of farmlands) He said it looked very similar but smelled different. This confirmed my deeply held belief that you can smell the ocean about 100 miles inland, which I first noticed driving eastward through Maryland. I love it, and I would have described it as "the salt air." However, I read this morning that it's the odor of plankton decaying or something equally unpoetic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home