Life, Expectancies
I’ve discovered some surprises about myself as my life and Sam’s begin to intertwine. I trust Sam absolutely, so in some respects, it’s as easy as it possibly could be. But I’ve realized how much of the last eleven years or so of my life have been devoted to learning to make myself happy through independence, and how consciously I have to figure out how to enact that independence in this new context.
I have deeply intimate and rich and challenging relationships with friends (a shout-out to Jules and PJ here!), but none of them require me to give up my autonomy really. In fact, they function to cultivate that autonomy further, helping me to shape my preferences and ideas about things. Certainly, Sam does many of the same things. But then, obviously, occasional compromises need to be reached, on issues that for the most part aren’t important enough to warrant large-scale summits. The big things are what’s easy because they’re what have connected us in the first place (morality, life goals, a shared sense of how to treat others), and the small things aren’t a big enough deal for either of us to get worked up about (where to eat lunch, what movie to see).
It’s a bunch of mid-range decisions that have cropped up that have shown me how accustomed I am to running my own life, and to knowing that I can do whatever I want to make myself happy. Yielding some of that may sound like the kind of depressing anti-feminist experience dramatized in “Story of an Hour,” but it's not like that—it’s just a choice to make a different kind of decisions, ones that acknowledge that some part of the way I'm growing right now is in the context of another person and the matrix of the relationship we are creating.
I know it sounds like what I'm saying is, "I can't believe that I can't be totally self-centered anymore." But it's not quite that--or at least, not only that. I guess what I'm saying is that a big part of the way I make decisions has to do with a sense of profound resonance with my own instincts, discernment, and feelings. That's an especially challenging process to integrate someone else's views into, both more and less so because Sam makes decisions very similarly. I guess we deserve each other. ;)
I have deeply intimate and rich and challenging relationships with friends (a shout-out to Jules and PJ here!), but none of them require me to give up my autonomy really. In fact, they function to cultivate that autonomy further, helping me to shape my preferences and ideas about things. Certainly, Sam does many of the same things. But then, obviously, occasional compromises need to be reached, on issues that for the most part aren’t important enough to warrant large-scale summits. The big things are what’s easy because they’re what have connected us in the first place (morality, life goals, a shared sense of how to treat others), and the small things aren’t a big enough deal for either of us to get worked up about (where to eat lunch, what movie to see).
It’s a bunch of mid-range decisions that have cropped up that have shown me how accustomed I am to running my own life, and to knowing that I can do whatever I want to make myself happy. Yielding some of that may sound like the kind of depressing anti-feminist experience dramatized in “Story of an Hour,” but it's not like that—it’s just a choice to make a different kind of decisions, ones that acknowledge that some part of the way I'm growing right now is in the context of another person and the matrix of the relationship we are creating.
I know it sounds like what I'm saying is, "I can't believe that I can't be totally self-centered anymore." But it's not quite that--or at least, not only that. I guess what I'm saying is that a big part of the way I make decisions has to do with a sense of profound resonance with my own instincts, discernment, and feelings. That's an especially challenging process to integrate someone else's views into, both more and less so because Sam makes decisions very similarly. I guess we deserve each other. ;)
4 Comments:
What are these mid-range decisions? Examples, please.
I think it has a lot to do with how you/I/we/lots of us? choose to define ourselves. Sort of HAVE to define ourselves, you know? Or risk pining away for that elusive man (hack, hack). And after awhile -- or right away, for some? -- we embrace that identity. Grow into it. Get used to it. It is US. And then a great guy comes along... And maybe a great kid... and you realize, even though you always wanted to be a wife and mother, SOMEDAY, that that day would always have come accompanied by great shock. And a sense of loss. And longing for what you can no longer have (at least, not now).
Not that I'm projecting, or anything.
Take away the term major depression out of your language. The saying by itself has a lot of adverse luggage tied to it and often people end up labeling on their own as "stressed out" during times of reality they are just in a reduced feeling. The idea that you are in a poor feeling appears more controllable and fewer permanent than despression symptoms. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Philan4335d[/url]
Latest four times a year [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/][b]エルメス トートバッグ[/b][/url]
results, suited at punctilious exchange rates, Hermes receipts increased by [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/]エルメス 店舗[/url]
12.8% to 856.8 million euros, compared with 776.9 million euros in the fixed duration in 2012, an raise of more than 11% of [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/][b]エルメス 財布[/b][/url]
the market participants before to, but compared with sales in the creation territory of 2012, an increase of [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/]エルメス 店舗[/url]
17.6%words, has slowed; at contemporaneous quid pro quo rates, Hermes in the elementary section [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/][b]エルメス バッグ[/b][/url]
gate expand of 10.3%, during the span of exchange class fluctuations register someone back the friends 19 million euros. [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/]hermes エルメス[/url]
In counting up, the associates's retail [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/][b]hermes エルメス[/b][/url]
channel sales advancement of 13.6%, the wholesale moat sales spread of 9.9%.
Post a Comment
<< Home