Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy New Meals

Yesterday was Jodi's birthday--happy birthday, Jodi!--and she and Ed came over for dinner. We had a nice evening lingering over the meal. I had gotten a somewhat late start cooking, so it was a frenetic burst of activity that afternoon. I could not have done it without my new K1tchenAid mixer (and kitchen assistant). I baked a chocolate cake and made this frosting that my family loves; the recipe comes from a bakery in my town where the cakes are show-stoppingly gorgeous. You can order a cake with, say, pointsettias and pine cones and pine needles, or lilies-of-the-valley and irises, and the cake decorators (who are artists) will shape these lovely, perfect flowers out of frosting. The irises will even have little petal tongues. So anyway, I didn't make any pretty flowers because I have still never gotten to take a cake-decorating class, though it is one of my life's ambitions. I did stencil some little cocoa stars on it, and called it a day.

After all, there was parmesan herb bread to bake, with beer substituted for the water to make it special. I don't even like the taste of beer, but the smell of the beer and the herbs was sensational; I practically wanted to open the breadmaker and taste it raw! I browned onion, garlic, and beef to get the pasta sauce simmering and mixed up a beef, spinach, and cheese ravioli filling. By then it was getting alarmingly late, so I was relieved when Sam came to help with the pasta-making and ravioli-stuffing.

This occasioned our first freighted disagreement--no, not politics nor past relationships nor life goals nor gender roles nor financial commitments--but rather how much meat should rightly go into each ravioli.* As the great-granddaughter of Italian immigrants from a small village outside Rome, having learned to make ravioli from my great-aunt and mother in the way my Nonna made them, I maintain that the ravioli should have more meat, which might mean a misshapen appearance (but that just proves that they are handmade and therefore more delicious), while Sam would prefer ravioli with just a tiny smidgen of meat to approximate a machine-extruded symmetry. That must be how the Scotch-Irish prefer them. ;)

*A word for the wise(-a**): I just looked it up and found that raviolo is the Italian singular, but that term is now used mainly for large ravioli, not for the little bite-sized ones, which are called ravioli in the singular and the plural.

5 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Geez. I'm suddenly absolutely starving!
Okay -- this is from the veteran of a cake decorating class. (that's me, if that was ambiguous.) My mom told me this, and I of course didn't really believe her, but it's true -- just get a little book that tells you what tips to do for what flowers, and buy those certain tips. It's just all about experimenting. If you set up the frosting tube and the tip, it's not too hard to play around and figure it out.
Then again, a two- or three-session class is fun and not too much of a burden, either. :) It's an easy way to impress people. (not, er, that that's why I would do it...)

Wed Jan 03, 04:58:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

Kate, I should have guessed that you would be an experienced cake decorator! Maybe I'll give it a try. :)

Thu Jan 04, 10:38:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

Your first tiff. I'm not so surprised about the topic. I know just how important food is to both of us.

Fri Jan 05, 07:43:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what a wonderful meal it was! Was wondering if you were willing to give me the frosting recipe as well as the bread recipe??

Fri Jan 05, 04:16:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

Of course! I'll email them to you. :)

Fri Jan 05, 09:36:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home