Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Absent-Minded Professor, Part IV (and IVb)

Sam has been working on his tenure portfolio, and I've been putting in a lot of time grading 25 writing assignments per day for my course. A few days ago, with him fighting a stress headache and me batttling sheer exhaustion, we stopped for a little refreshment at Starbucks. We got back to his apartment eager to relax in the cozy warmth, but I realized that I had left my pocketbook behind. Alas. We went back out into the cold rainy day, and apart from the occasional superfluous reminder and teasing, life returned to normal.

Until a few days later, when we went to the realtor for Sam to put an offer in on a house. Afterward, we went out for a happy and hopeful little dinner, and started on the drive back to town. Since we'd had dinner somewhat early, we were looking forward to having an extra hour to relax before we both got back to the several hours of work we each had to do. Arriving back at my house, I went to get my keys, and where were they? In my purse. In the restaurant. 20 minutes away.

This blog post is part of my restitution.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I do the same things when I get busy/stressed and I'm not even a professor.

Sun Jan 14, 09:23:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

I too sympathize. In fact I think dottie was with me during one of my "I left my purse at -- " moments. It's a minor miracle that I have not been a victim of identity theft.

Sun Jan 14, 10:31:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, Julie, I remember that day. I wanted to mock you about it but I couldn't since I had left an expensive camera in a bar in Ghana only a year or so before. It too, was recovered.

Tue Jan 16, 02:06:00 AM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

I'm surprised, sort of, that Julie has these moments, as she is so eminently practical and not given the sort of spacey abstraction that leads one to not know the way back to one's own house from a restaurant where one is a frequent patron.

Tue Jan 16, 04:22:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home