A Cake-Taker
In class yesterday, a student came up to me and announced, "The printer in the library was broken, so I couldn't print out my essay for today." His tone indicated that he was handing this problem over to me to figure out what to do. We looked at each other for a minute, the missing assignment somewhere in the air between us like a hot potato.
Finally, after some negotiation, he agreed to try one of the other thousand printers available and bring me a copy of the essay. When he showed up with it, he handed it to me and said on his way out, "Oh, I didn't know how to cite the text, so I just wrote 'citation' where the citations would go, okay?"
I might have actually burst out laughing. If it were a math test, he wouldn't just write "number" where the answer went, would he?
It's like another student I had recently who copied a lot of information from an Internet source, apparently because he didn't know how to cite it properly. I suggested that he write his own paragraph and incorporate the information rather than copying it directly. "But," he said, "when I read that source, I thought it was the best way of saying what I wanted to say."
Look, dude, this may be difficult to believe, but I don't ask you to write papers so that I can find out the most brilliant statements ever made about 19th-century literature. Believe it or not, I ask you to write essays to to see evidence of your work.
I love my students, but their laziness is breathtakingly adaptive and resourceful sometimes. At least the sheer absurdity of it keeps me supplied with hilarity.
Finally, after some negotiation, he agreed to try one of the other thousand printers available and bring me a copy of the essay. When he showed up with it, he handed it to me and said on his way out, "Oh, I didn't know how to cite the text, so I just wrote 'citation' where the citations would go, okay?"
I might have actually burst out laughing. If it were a math test, he wouldn't just write "number" where the answer went, would he?
It's like another student I had recently who copied a lot of information from an Internet source, apparently because he didn't know how to cite it properly. I suggested that he write his own paragraph and incorporate the information rather than copying it directly. "But," he said, "when I read that source, I thought it was the best way of saying what I wanted to say."
Look, dude, this may be difficult to believe, but I don't ask you to write papers so that I can find out the most brilliant statements ever made about 19th-century literature. Believe it or not, I ask you to write essays to to see evidence of your work.
I love my students, but their laziness is breathtakingly adaptive and resourceful sometimes. At least the sheer absurdity of it keeps me supplied with hilarity.
1 Comments:
Insert rant here about the state of kids today.
Post a Comment
<< Home