Amusing Ambiguity
The New York Times today has a sentence discussing the part-time jobs a high-school student undertook to pay for a trip overseas: " To help her parents pay the $1,500 cost, she worked as a baby and a cat sitter during the school year."
I love that! When not working as a cat-sitter, she worked as a baby. [For others like me who geek out on such technicalities, it should read "as a baby- and a cat-sitter."]
I love that! When not working as a cat-sitter, she worked as a baby. [For others like me who geek out on such technicalities, it should read "as a baby- and a cat-sitter."]
4 Comments:
What a GREAT job. Babies have the LIFE. Let me know when that position comes open.
I would also have been okay, personally, with the repetition of babysitter and cat-sitter.
Kate--LOL! I once was a baby for free--man, did I get taken advantage of!
I worked as a baby for awhile. Never do it on a contract basis-- supplying yourself with diapers gets expensive.
I am now picturing a grown-up Dottie in gigantic diaper. Scary. But funny, too.
Post a Comment
<< Home