Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Food, Clothing, Shelter 2

"All y'all's" comments are often better than my posts, I think--perhaps what I should do is just start posting questions! Wouldn't that be Socratic of me? I've been thinking a lot about Lee's comments under "Food, Clothing, Shelter." He is certainly right that Americans aren't in danger of over-valuing poverty.

What I've noticed, though, is a different problem--that sometimes we tend to define first the most radical position our faith would lead us to take, and then to reject that proposition as too impractical or impossible. I notice this in people younger than I am (there are more and more of them all the time!): when they are young, they want to be missionaries, they want to work for the Peace Corps, they want to do Teach for America. But then when they have college loans to pay back, they have to get jobs, and while many still want to serve God, they aren't able to translate their radical commitment into a way of living that is equally committed to God, but in less apparently radical ways.

Our faith should always be radical, but sometimes the expression of it will not mean moving to Africa or selling all that we have--yet. Whether because that's not our calling, or because we aren't yet ready to "be perfect" (as the rich young man wishes to be). I guess what I'm working through in my mind is how we translate a radical faith in God into a practical handling of our wealth as American Christians. And I mean wealth relative to a global and historic scale--I don't feel especially wealthy, but by virtue of living in the United States in the twentieth century, I have comfort unimaginable to many others around the world, throughout history. Where I've ended up is trying to give as much as I can, budgeting giving before anything else, but still feeling conflicted about what I'm doing. And I think God wants us to live according to well-thought out principles that we've defined conscientiously, not in a muddle of hapless efforts, occasionally good intentions, selfish motives, and guilt. I'm curious as to whether any of you have a financial theology that you feel satisfied with, and if so, how it works. Any thoughts?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My philosophy is very imprecise. I block out a certain amount of the budget that I know will be given away. To me it feels like taxes: though this particular chunk of money passes briefly through my hands, it was always meant for the world and never for me. As with taxes, I usually agree in principle but occasionally feel resentful.

Then the second tier of the philosophy is generosity of spirit. Some people seem to be born this way already; I have to keep moving towards it. The people who are good at it always treat their friends on evenings out, invite everyone one over just because they are happy about something, don't mind being called at 2 am, tip well, and if you mention interest in something of theirs they will always offer to give it or loan it to you. They offer rides and don't mind swinging by your house on their way home from work to say hello or pick something up. They don't stop talking to you on the phone because they are worried about using up their cell phone minutes. The idea is inviting others into, or reaching out with, whatever good thing one has.

Mon May 08, 01:12:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home