Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Bedfellows

While I was in North Carolina, my friend Kim looked after my cat, Holly Golightly. Kim reminds me of my mom in her kindness to animals. My mom has this gift of patience and insight with animals, plants, and food--she knows exactly what they need, pays careful attention to signs I wouldn't even notice, and wait for things to come around to where they need to be. (She also doesn't ever think anything takes too much time or is too much work.) I'd just asked Kim to check in once or twice, but she came over every day for almost an hour, fed the kitty, played with her, watched TV with her, napped with her, etc. , and left a little "what we did today" journal for me.

Since I've been back, Holly has spent a lot of time mewling for attention, and one night she actually slept the whole night with her chest and front paws on my stomach (to keep me there?). Last night, she somehow got under the covers to sleep alongside me, and when I woke up, there she was, with her little stuffed mouse tucked between her paws as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

The love of a cat must be earned. It is therefore that much sweeter to know that your cat missed you.

Thu May 18, 10:49:00 AM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
A journal! I am totally stealing that idea for the next time I cat-sit. How thoughtful.

Mon May 22, 03:49:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home