Wanderings
When I first met Andrew, one of my colleagues here who has also become a good friend, we had this conversation about how terrifyingly dull he feared it might be to live in Washington. I remember that he said, "Sometimes, you're talking to people who have been here for a while, and they get this look like, 'How did I ever end up in this place?'"
I never understood how people ended up living places they didn't like. I always thought, well, if you like the beach, lots of people live there, so why shouldn't you be one of them? Especially if you're a teacher or a bank teller, or you have some other portable occupation, and if you don't have family responsibilities--just go somewhere you like, and live there. It still seems odd to me that I know East-Coast natives living out West who long to come back but simply can't do it for one reason or another, and West-Coast natives out here for whom the opposite is true. It all seems maddeningly inefficient--I want to clap my hands, get everybody's attention, and have everyone switch on count of three. But perhaps it is testament to the depth of the ties that hold you to a place (and even to God's blessing upon it), that you can't leave even though you never imagined yourself there.
And more and more I'm realizing how much our lives are constrained by happenstance and by factors outside our control, which may or may not include a sense of calling. We become rooted in places, and we find that a world has been created all around us, and to leave it means not only to lose what that place offers us, but also to lose that part of ourselves that we've planted there. Uprooting might mean, at the end of our lives, being less deeply nurtured, even a little stunted, because we've grown only short roots in each place we've been. It may not be that we're called to a place, but we may be called to the kind of depth that requires staying there.
Of course, the flipside is true too. Exploration brings its own growth, and I can't imagine a life without some kind of adventure and some kind of discovery; it would be a kind of death. But I've been thinking about the costs involved in moving about freely . . . not just the start-up costs of settling in somewhere, but the costs you can only count at the other end. Like being surrounded with lifelong friends. I have a number of lifelong friends, whom I cherish and with whom I hope always to be close in heart, but none of them live nearby, and if they did, or if these friends I am making in Washington became lifelong relationships, I can see how their very physical proximity would change me over time.
As Americans, we're raised with a sense of endless possibilities, but I wonder if thinking that way leads us toward choices based on the illusion of possibilities instead of real, present happiness, or toward inevitable disappointment because we can never really have all those possibilities. Here Washington, I have the little house, pleasantly short walk to campus, friends who live blocks away, great church within walking distance, a city close enough for me to get there as frequently as I want. Also, work that I think is meaningful, with people I respect and admire, who are supportive and just plain nice to me. Occasionally I still feel wistful about other lives I'd like to lead, and yet I've been feeling that way less and less. One way of looking at this would be to say that I'm dreaming less, which would be a sort of sad thing. But another would be to say that I'm living my actual life, my real life, with fuller attention. In a way, it's scary to stop imagining glamorous escape fantasies, but maybe I'm learning to be happy.
I never understood how people ended up living places they didn't like. I always thought, well, if you like the beach, lots of people live there, so why shouldn't you be one of them? Especially if you're a teacher or a bank teller, or you have some other portable occupation, and if you don't have family responsibilities--just go somewhere you like, and live there. It still seems odd to me that I know East-Coast natives living out West who long to come back but simply can't do it for one reason or another, and West-Coast natives out here for whom the opposite is true. It all seems maddeningly inefficient--I want to clap my hands, get everybody's attention, and have everyone switch on count of three. But perhaps it is testament to the depth of the ties that hold you to a place (and even to God's blessing upon it), that you can't leave even though you never imagined yourself there.
And more and more I'm realizing how much our lives are constrained by happenstance and by factors outside our control, which may or may not include a sense of calling. We become rooted in places, and we find that a world has been created all around us, and to leave it means not only to lose what that place offers us, but also to lose that part of ourselves that we've planted there. Uprooting might mean, at the end of our lives, being less deeply nurtured, even a little stunted, because we've grown only short roots in each place we've been. It may not be that we're called to a place, but we may be called to the kind of depth that requires staying there.
Of course, the flipside is true too. Exploration brings its own growth, and I can't imagine a life without some kind of adventure and some kind of discovery; it would be a kind of death. But I've been thinking about the costs involved in moving about freely . . . not just the start-up costs of settling in somewhere, but the costs you can only count at the other end. Like being surrounded with lifelong friends. I have a number of lifelong friends, whom I cherish and with whom I hope always to be close in heart, but none of them live nearby, and if they did, or if these friends I am making in Washington became lifelong relationships, I can see how their very physical proximity would change me over time.
As Americans, we're raised with a sense of endless possibilities, but I wonder if thinking that way leads us toward choices based on the illusion of possibilities instead of real, present happiness, or toward inevitable disappointment because we can never really have all those possibilities. Here Washington, I have the little house, pleasantly short walk to campus, friends who live blocks away, great church within walking distance, a city close enough for me to get there as frequently as I want. Also, work that I think is meaningful, with people I respect and admire, who are supportive and just plain nice to me. Occasionally I still feel wistful about other lives I'd like to lead, and yet I've been feeling that way less and less. One way of looking at this would be to say that I'm dreaming less, which would be a sort of sad thing. But another would be to say that I'm living my actual life, my real life, with fuller attention. In a way, it's scary to stop imagining glamorous escape fantasies, but maybe I'm learning to be happy.
14 Comments:
"It may not be that we're called to a place, but we may be called to the kind of depth that requires staying there."
Ooooooohhhhh.
Yeah, seems weird to me, too. The weirder thing for me is, I would NEVER have gone straight from Washington state to D.C. But I would go from Wash. state to Germany... and once in Germany, D.C. seemed almost downright homey... So, yeah. It's interesting where life takes us, even when we think we're in control. I mean, sort of. :)
Fiance Matt's take on my West coast longing is, "If you're not happy now, you won't be happy regardless of location." And yet -- funny how he has NEVER LEFT his hometown.
I'm fascinated by how much a place becomes part of our identity. I love trying to dissect what elements make that so.
Kate,
Yeah, I wrote this post immediately after reading yours on DC! I don't know about Matt's thought--sometimes that's true, but other times unhappiness does come from where we are I think. Maybe even if our locations make us unhappy, what we need is the closeness with God that will bring satisfaction anywhere. And yet even God seems easier to find in some places than in others . . . I'm going in circles. :)
Good evening. Nice!
Visit my site viagra
buy http://delta-space.info/phentermine.htm viagra online
Thanks.
Hello. Nice!
Visit my site phentermine
buy http://freeunixhs.info/phentermine.htm phentermine online
Thanks.
Hi all! Super site!
buy viagra
cheap viagra online
Bye
Hello people!
buy viagra
cheap viagra online
Bye
Hello!
buy viagra,
cheap http://viagra.alldating.org/viagra.htm online
G'night
Hi all, watch here!
buy phentermine online,
cheap http://xrjuhosting.info/phentermine.htm phentermine
Sorry.
Hi all!, very intersting cite. Thanks for information!
[url=http://models4.azure-shift.info/tawny-roberts.htm]tawny roberts[/url]
tawny-roberts
Bye
Hi, Dear All!
[url=http://wikkimikki.fortunecity.com/msg001.htm]levitra[/url]
levitra
Thanks.
Hi, Dear All!
[url=http://phentermine-abc.info/page001.htm]phentermine[/url]
phentermine
Thanks.
Hello, nice design.
my home page [url=http://www.youthpeer.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=327]viara[/url].
Take http://www.youthpeer.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=327#viagra best.
thanks.
Hello, interesting.
Look at my site [url=http://www.theologicalforum.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58]phentermine[/url].
Buy http://www.theologicalforum.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58#phentermine cheap.
Bye-bye.
Good evening, interesting information.
My page [url=http://bowtrol-herbal.info]viagra[/url].
Here you can buy http://bowtrol-herbal.info#viagra best.
thanks a lot.
Post a Comment
<< Home