Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Reach

My pastor in St. Louis once preached on Jonah 2:8: "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." He suggested that God does not teach us to let go of things by prying open our fists; instead, God shows us something better, and we open our hands to reach for it.

What I've noticed, however, is that lots of times the better thing doesn't show up, or can't, before we've let go of whatever we held onto. Or maybe something shows up, but it doesn't immediately appear "better"--often, it actually seems harder!

And yet, I think maybe the truly better thing, the thing that is always there for us if we open our hands, is not the improvement in our circumstance or the desperately needed blessing, but rather the promise of knowing Him better. And that does show up. Every time.

4 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Yes.
The mere act of obedience, I would think, would change us. And the realization that no THING is that important, ultimately. Even the really good things.
But it's easy to say all that in the abstract. I've not been very good at waiting.

Wed Mar 22, 01:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

Ugh. Me neither. It appears to me that you can get all kinds of virtues--gentleness, kindness, helpfulness--as pure gifts. But not patience--that one you have to earn most of the time! I thought I was patient until I had to wait for something I really wanted.

Thu Mar 23, 06:42:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

I don't think it's a real word, but inconsolableness during our time of true misery can be even worse. When you know that you're supposed to take comfort in the fact that your experience can bring you closer to God - but at that moment you'd rather have the thing/person/relationship/situation that you want!

Mon Mar 27, 08:40:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
That was useful info...thanks and Welcome to live chat FETISH. If you search the aldactone? Click here - aldactone
Enjoy

Mon Feb 05, 11:06:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home