Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

From the Voice Mailbox

Voice mail messages I have received in the past week:

"Yes, hello. I was wondering if skinny-dipping could cure hot flashes. If you have the answer to this question and could call me back, please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX."

"Hi, this is Larry Summers. I understand that you have an opening at your college, and since I am currently unemployed, I am interested in applying for that. I am very smart, have a PhD, and have done a little government work. I have been told I am a little abrasive, but my friends like me. I'll be waiting by the phone. Please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX."

"Hi there. I’m calling from the Margaret Mitchell estate, and we understand that you are using the name 'Tara,' and I put that in quotes, as your moniker. I should let you know that 'Tara' was the name used by Miss Mitchell in her well known and brilliant novel Gone with the Wind. We are very concerned about this infringement of our copyright, and we would like you to pay damages. According to our calculations, you’ve been using it for approximately thirty years, and we believe that you owe us upwards of $500 million, though we may be able to adjust that slightly if you are cooperative. I should let you know that the clock is ticking and that the bill is increasing by the minute. If you could, please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX."

3 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

You have absolutely, positively GOT to be kidding me.
I mean, you just have to be.
Take pity on those among us who are frighteningly gullible...
HA HA! Funny stuff.

Thu Mar 02, 04:36:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

They are real, but they all came from the same person. Julie knows him--my friend Arthur from college. He has a wacky and incredibly overactive imagination.

Fri Mar 03, 11:00:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm wondering who I can call to leave funny messages.

Fri Mar 03, 11:22:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home