Do the Reading
This is what happened in my class today after half of the students failed the reading quiz:
First, I made a little speech: "We need to have a talk. In any class, you have two choices. You can do the reading every day, take notes, try to figure out what's important about it, and come to class--and we can have great discussions that I promise you will be much more interesting. Or you can do what some of you are doing, which is skipping or skimming the reading, coming to class, and saying things that don't make sense, so that the students who have done the reading get confused and wonder, 'oh, wait, was that in there?' Which is detrimental to everyone's learning experience. So, those of you who have failed the quiz, I'm going to dismiss you, and I'd like Students W, X, Y, and Z to stay."
So the rest of them packed up their bags and left, and the five of us had a great class (even if one of the students who had gotten an A did say, "I almost threw up! I'm still shaking!").
If Hollywood produced action movies about teaching, the story would begin with that death-defying moment, and then there would be a flashback to Two Days Earlier. So here's the backstory: their first batch of essays this semester had been almost uniformly miserable, so this time around, for the second essays, we spent two class days going over their drafts and having conferences to help them write better. Alas, here are actual remarks from the conferences about the final drafts two days ago:
"I'm not even going to write on this book; I think I'm just going to start over. Is there a direction you want to point me in?"
"To be honest with you, my paper is really terrible. I didn't spend much time on this at all."
On top of it, in this class of junior and senior English majors, only one student out of 9 has been doing the reading regularly. So on today's announced quiz, when half of them got, oh, two out of ten questions right (what's that about a stopped clock being right twice a day?), instead of banging my head against the wall (again), I decided the best thing for them would be to give them a kick in the pants. I did try to be nice about it--I told them before they left that we would start fresh on Monday. But the book we're reading is a mystery, and I wanted them to puzzle through it together and experience the uncertainty and curiosity, not just get "the answer" from their classmates' comments.
I just can't wait to see my evaluations at the end of this semester!
First, I made a little speech: "We need to have a talk. In any class, you have two choices. You can do the reading every day, take notes, try to figure out what's important about it, and come to class--and we can have great discussions that I promise you will be much more interesting. Or you can do what some of you are doing, which is skipping or skimming the reading, coming to class, and saying things that don't make sense, so that the students who have done the reading get confused and wonder, 'oh, wait, was that in there?' Which is detrimental to everyone's learning experience. So, those of you who have failed the quiz, I'm going to dismiss you, and I'd like Students W, X, Y, and Z to stay."
So the rest of them packed up their bags and left, and the five of us had a great class (even if one of the students who had gotten an A did say, "I almost threw up! I'm still shaking!").
If Hollywood produced action movies about teaching, the story would begin with that death-defying moment, and then there would be a flashback to Two Days Earlier. So here's the backstory: their first batch of essays this semester had been almost uniformly miserable, so this time around, for the second essays, we spent two class days going over their drafts and having conferences to help them write better. Alas, here are actual remarks from the conferences about the final drafts two days ago:
"I'm not even going to write on this book; I think I'm just going to start over. Is there a direction you want to point me in?"
"To be honest with you, my paper is really terrible. I didn't spend much time on this at all."
On top of it, in this class of junior and senior English majors, only one student out of 9 has been doing the reading regularly. So on today's announced quiz, when half of them got, oh, two out of ten questions right (what's that about a stopped clock being right twice a day?), instead of banging my head against the wall (again), I decided the best thing for them would be to give them a kick in the pants. I did try to be nice about it--I told them before they left that we would start fresh on Monday. But the book we're reading is a mystery, and I wanted them to puzzle through it together and experience the uncertainty and curiosity, not just get "the answer" from their classmates' comments.
I just can't wait to see my evaluations at the end of this semester!
44 Comments:
Hello, we are talking COLLEGE students, are we not?
How horribly, inexplicably sad. That these people are the English majors.
I mean, all right. I bluffed my way through journalism law class. But ... this is what they DO, right? If you don't enjoy reading ... what are you hoping to get out of having an English degree? (no offense intended to English majors) Are they there by default, or what? Looking for their MRS. degrees? Do you have any theories about this?
This is why I have shied away from all forms of teaching. I'm sure if I had your job I would have been fired long ago for screaming something inappropriate or throwing stuff at lazy students. Much of my time would be devoted to dreaming up new ways to humiliate the unprepared.
Aahhh...the joys of teaching! During the twelve years that I taught, so very many people would comment on it by saying, "Oh, that must be so rewarding!" Hmmm...rewarding....I guess that's why I'm now doing commercial design!
Eep. Non-reading students are frustrating.
*wave*
Maybe you could invest in some chinese handcuffs? Wait, I got it -- you need duct tape that is pre-perforated (like toilet paper) into pieces just the right size to tape across the BS'ers mouths. You wouldn't have to say anything.
Student: "I remember there being a lot of flowers so the main theme of this book must be se--"
Tara: THWAP! (Duct tape across mouth) "Next!"
Kate: Yes, it is devastating. I want to tell them that if they are going to blow off their courses, they should at least blow off something practical, like accounting.
Julie: If you have any ideas . . .
Joan: All this time, I thought it was your love of intensely saturated color!
Hi Paul, welcome! You're much nicer than I am. :)
Dottie: I'm curious about what's distinctive about Chinese handcuffs! Google produced a children's (teen?) book called Chinese Handcuffs, the description of which begins "When Dillon Hemingway is forced to witness his brother Preston's suicide . . ." Eek--hat happened to Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins?! Still, I enjoyed the visual (audible?)!
Frank: I don't know if I needed to read it; I'm living it! But I read it anyway, and yes, it's really good!
purchase ambien zolpidem side effects skin - ambien cr generic online
diazepam online buy diazepam 10mg india - online apotheke diazepam rezeptfrei
buy xanax online zoloft drug interactions with xanax - xanax drug dependence
online xanax generic xanax l441 - xanax effects how long
xanax anxiety generic xanax s 901 - 1 mg of xanax
buy generic ativan can you get ativan over the counter - ativan experience
where to buy xanax online no prescription xanax 30 pills - xanax side effects slurred speech
xanax no prescription online xanax bars energy drink - xanax withdrawal .25
buy xanax no prescription xanax effects libido - xanax side effects in cats
ativan pills buy lorazepam without prescriptions - ativan online no prescription canada
generic ativan online ativan overdose many pills - ativan side effects drugs.com
buy ativan online ativan used alcohol withdrawal - ativan zyrtec
soma drug aura soma reading online - buy soma online canada
ambien online no prescription withdrawal symptoms from ambien cr - cheap ambien cr
buy soma carisoprodol withdrawal syndrome misdiagnosed psychotic disorder - soma drug 2410
generic soma online where can i buy soma underwear - buy soma cheap online
buy soma carisoprodol many get high - carisoprodol uses side effects
valium pill valium pill street price - buy valium by roche online
buy soma soma controlled medication - carisoprodol toxicity
buy valium online buy roche valium from pakistan - valium 5 mg erowid
order soma soma drug pill - soma scheduled drug new york
where to buy valium buy valium pills - valium side effects on dogs
buy valium online valium online paypal - valium side effects abuse
brand valium valium drug wiki - valium for dental anxiety dosage
deedievansits generic ativan - buy ativan online without prescription http://www.lorazepamonlinesales.com/
Medications To Treat Stress prednisolone without prescription - buy prednisone http://www.prednisone4sale.com/#buy-prednisone
Hello, generic zithromax no prescription - order azithromycin online no prescription http://www.zithromaxonlineprice.com/#order-azithromycin-online-no-prescription
Hello, atorvastatin online - lipitor without rx http://www.costoflipitoronline.net/#lipitor-without-rx
Medicine Conflicts purchase topamax no prescription - purchase topamax http://www.topamaxbetterprice.com/
East Texas Drug Treatment Centers diflucan for sale - diflucan online http://www.diflucansaleonline.net/#diflucan-online , [url=http://www.diflucansaleonline.net/#buy-fluconazole ]buy fluconazole [/url]
Medications Database cheap lexapro no prescription - cheap lexapro online http://www.costoflexaproonline.net/#cheap-lexapro-online , [url=http://www.costoflexaproonline.net/#discount-lexapro ]discount lexapro [/url]
t, order levitra online no prescription - purchase levitra online http://www.levitrapillsforsale.net/#purchase-levitra-online , [url=http://www.levitrapillsforsale.net/#buy-cheap-levitra ]buy cheap levitra [/url]
rvb buy cheap azithromycin - azithromycin sale http://www.zithromaxordercheap.net/#azithromycin-sale , [url=http://www.zithromaxordercheap.net/#buy-zithromax-online-no-prescription ]buy zithromax online no prescription [/url]
6, klonopin generic - buy clonazepam no prescription http://www.klonopinonlinediscount.com/#generic-klonopin-online, [url=http://www.klonopinonlinediscount.com/#klonopin-without-prescription]order klonopin online[/url]
2013 ativan online pharmacy - ativan online http://www.ativanonlinenorx.net/#generic-lorazepam, ativan online pharmacy
6, Order Strattera Online - Generic Strattera - strattera medication http://www.stratterarxcoupon.net/ .
14, purchase accutane - buy accutane no prescription - cheap isotretinoin http://www.rhinescobblerschool.com/.
Post a Comment
<< Home