Life List
On my desk I keep a little notebook where one day in grad school (3/31/2001, apparently), I wrote down a bunch of things I wanted to do in my life, big and small. For a while I then entered the dates I'd done each of the things. I hadn't opened the book for a couple of years. But when I thought of it recently, it was fun to see that I had more dates to enter, for things I'd done since then.
There are big things still undone: Write a novel. Be entirely at peace. Have a little girl, take her to the American History museum, and teach her to be great, to be ambitious to do good.
Small things, some done: Finish Linda's sampler (2002). Study Italian (2001). Have plants (2002).
Things that I've recently done: Get a cat. I wrote (2005) next to that one.
Things I will now never do: Paint my closet (I moved instead).
And things that now seem rather odd: Eat more vegetables (2002-2003) (Why the end date?)
Now I have more items to add to the list: Take down the entryway wallpaper. Adopt a baby girl from China? Develop a research project using the New England archives. Plan an adventure for next summer.
There are big things still undone: Write a novel. Be entirely at peace. Have a little girl, take her to the American History museum, and teach her to be great, to be ambitious to do good.
Small things, some done: Finish Linda's sampler (2002). Study Italian (2001). Have plants (2002).
Things that I've recently done: Get a cat. I wrote (2005) next to that one.
Things I will now never do: Paint my closet (I moved instead).
And things that now seem rather odd: Eat more vegetables (2002-2003) (Why the end date?)
Now I have more items to add to the list: Take down the entryway wallpaper. Adopt a baby girl from China? Develop a research project using the New England archives. Plan an adventure for next summer.
2 Comments:
Maybe your body works in more mysterious ways than mine. You must have eaten a lot of veggies to meet your life time requirement.
Or else my lifetime requirements were just horrifyingly low.
Post a Comment
<< Home