Grace Notes

GRACE NOTE: n. in theater, a small gesture, evocative of character. / GRACE: n. unmerited divine favor. / NOTE: 1.v. to observe with care. 2.v. to preserve in writing. 3.n. an informal record.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

First Time for Everything

I learned a new word today (not uncommon). From a student (exceedingly rare, perhaps even unique). In an essay (practically unimaginable)! Granted, she used it as an example of a word-of-the-day, but still:

abulia: the inability to make decisions

Yes, my friends, you who have seen me debate over a menu selection know why I loved it. I'm shelving it next to another longtime favorite:

velleity: a desire to do something that is not strong enough to inspire action

Either of these would have made good titles for my blog.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There must be another word that can go hand in hand with "velleity", that signifies desire but more importantly the fear of the consequence(s) that keeps desire just low enough so action never takes place.

Fri Feb 10, 12:23:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

Cowardly impotence?

Fri Feb 10, 01:04:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

New words. I do think I feel a special kinship with the first word.

Fri Feb 10, 08:33:00 PM EST  
Blogger kate said...

Ooooooooh. Nice words, all right!
I like the blog, Tara! Keep on trucking. :)

Mon Feb 13, 11:56:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home