Attention, Bookworms!
I really love my job these days--much more than I did even in graduate school, though the work of teaching and scholarship is functionally the same. I love the intellectual stimulation, the academic culture and pace (well, most of it), the libraries and coffee shops, the variety in any given class period/day/year, the seasonal beginnings and endings, the concert of introspection and performance, the period of life in which I encounter my students, the mission of higher learning, and (perhaps most of all) the colleagues whose company I'm honored to keep . . .
But of all that I love about my job, my very favorite thing is this: I get to choose books and make other people read them.
Granted, I don't always quite succeed at that second part. But nonetheless, I'd like to invite all (both?) of you, my friends and loyal readers, to share in this one very satisfying aspect of my job: I'm compiling a list of books to read for now and maybe teach someday, and I'm hoping to add your recommendations.
Most of my all-time favorite books have come to me by way of friends: Jen Joo Park convinced me to open A Prayer for Owen Meany; Dave Perkins sent me Waiting in the mail; the fabulous Thaddeus Ostrowski sang the praises of Traveling Mercies (along with Grant Wacker in a public talk, and I think I'd do just about anything Grant Wacker instructed); Jennifer C. told me the writer of Girl Meets God was practically her alter ego (enough of a recommendation for me). Just thinking about these books and these friends makes me happy.
So, if you could make me (and possibly future groups of college students) read any book in the world, what book would it be? Comments and emails welcome.
But of all that I love about my job, my very favorite thing is this: I get to choose books and make other people read them.
Granted, I don't always quite succeed at that second part. But nonetheless, I'd like to invite all (both?) of you, my friends and loyal readers, to share in this one very satisfying aspect of my job: I'm compiling a list of books to read for now and maybe teach someday, and I'm hoping to add your recommendations.
Most of my all-time favorite books have come to me by way of friends: Jen Joo Park convinced me to open A Prayer for Owen Meany; Dave Perkins sent me Waiting in the mail; the fabulous Thaddeus Ostrowski sang the praises of Traveling Mercies (along with Grant Wacker in a public talk, and I think I'd do just about anything Grant Wacker instructed); Jennifer C. told me the writer of Girl Meets God was practically her alter ego (enough of a recommendation for me). Just thinking about these books and these friends makes me happy.
So, if you could make me (and possibly future groups of college students) read any book in the world, what book would it be? Comments and emails welcome.
7 Comments:
Oh, Lee, thank you for this one! I have had Chesterton recommended to me in a general sense, but this gives me some better direction! :)
lessee, lessee....
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. Should be required reading for every human being. Her other fiction book is pretty good too, and I've heard good things about her nonfiction though I haven't read any of it.
Brothers K by David James Duncan. I actually tried to use this one in a college class I was teaching and realized it was almost embarrassingly overwritten. But I still like it.
Collected Poems, Seamus Heany. Something in there for everybody.
Vladmir Nabokov's Short Stories (If I did a class on the short story he and Chekhov would supply the primary texts)
A little book of essays for book lovers: Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman. Might be too boring for students but I love it and read it all the time.
Don Dellilo, Underworld.
I enjoy a lot of other stuff that might go in the category "weird" but if you are interested I can elaborate further.
Erin, thanks! This is awesome! And it's funny you'd hypothesize about teaching a class on the short story; my summer school class is, indeed, "The Short Story." :)
And, weird is good . . .
I tried hard to keep the list of titles down to my top ten in no particular order. I could pretty much give you another list for science fiction, but we'll stick to fiction/literature/essays.
Wendell Berry--Home Economics
Jeanetter Winterson--Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
Mark Helprin--A Soldier of the Great War
Douglas Coupland--Girlfriend in a Coma
John Steinbeck--Cannery Row
Bernhard Schlink--The Reader
William Shakespeare--Twelfth Night
Nick Hornby--How to Be Good & About a Boy
Richard Russo--Empire Falls
Yann Martel--Life of Pi
David Mitchell--Cloud Atlas
I also like Ex Libris, I read the entire book on tape for someone who was driving a 10 hour trip. I've also read A Soldier of The Great War outloud while on a cross-country Car trip. Books are great!
Thanks, Hooli! Looks like a good list--stuff I wouldn't have come across otherwise!
Two of my off-beat faves, though not exactly unknowns, are (aforementioned by Erin) The Brothers K, and Possession by A.S. Byatt. I will never forget the roller-coaster of sensation I felt while reading the last page of that book.
Okay, I will definitely have to check out Brothers K--you two are the fourth people to mention it lately I think. And Possession . . . I have read it--whew. I don't know if I'll ever get over it! ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home